Monday, May 28, 2007

When I was growing up, Lebanese nationalists went crazy when sometime in the early 1970s, a Lebanese woman won the silly Ms. Universe title. It was a huge event in Lebanon for several years, confirming to some Lebanese some of their national delusions: that they are smarter and more beautiful than all other peoples around them. The woman in question, Georgina Rizq, later married the Fath leader, Abu Hasan Salamah (who was later assassinated by Israeli terrorists--who used a massive car bomb to kill him in a crowded neighborhood during the day); and that infuriated Lebanese nationalists. (She is now married to the Lebanese singer, Walid Tawfiq). Why am I telling you this? I don't know; I saw something about Ms. Universe and that reminded me. Do you have a problem with that?