Sunday, April 18, 2004

Two things, at least, bring me great frustration in dealing with Middle East media. Firstly, it is hard to convince people in the Middle East that there are several time zones in the US. Yet, they still operate on the assumption that Eastern Time Zone applies to the whole of the US. So today, I received a phone call from Al-`Alam TV at 4:00 AM. Kid you not. Obviously, I did not pick up the phone. Secondly, they think that California is this little tiny place. So I was supposed to go on Al-Manar TV, and as the time for the 90 minute program came, I tuned in and heard the anchorwoman announce my name, and I was surprised because I assumed that they were going to do it by phone. I had told them to call my home number, but then checked my office number only to find 16 messages waiting. The gist: that they have reserved a satellite hookup for me from a TV studio in LA. LA!!! I had to explain that it would not be possible for me to drive to LA in the few minutes I have, as it is some 6 hours drive from my home. And that was that.